Thursday 18 September 2014

 
The White Queen
By Philippa Gregory
 
 
5971165
 

Pages - 417

Publication Date - 2009

Publishers - Simon & Schuster UK ltd

ISBN - 978-1-84737-455-4

 

Summary (via Goodreads)

Brother turns on brother to win the ultimate prize, the throne of England, in this dazzling account of the wars of the Plantagenets. They are the claimants and kings who ruled England before the Tudors, and now Philippa Gregory brings them to life through the dramatic and intimate stories of the secret players: the indomitable women, starting with Elizabeth Woodville, the White Queen.
The White Queen tells the story of a woman of extraordinary beauty and ambition who, catching the eye of the newly crowned boy king, marries him in secret and ascends to royalty. While Elizabeth rises to the demands of her exalted position and fights for the success of her family, her two sons become central figures in a mystery that has confounded historians for centuries: the missing princes in the Tower of London whose fate is still unknown. From her uniquely qualified perspective, Philippa Gregory explores this most famous unsolved mystery of English history, informed by impeccable research and framed by her inimitable storytelling skills.
With The White Queen, Philippa Gregory brings the artistry and intellect of a master writer and storyteller to a new era in history and begins what is sure to be another bestselling classic series from this beloved author.
 
Review - Guest Post by The YA Nightstand

Okay so I have to admit that I wasn't completely sold on these books the first time I heard about them. In fact it took Holly here a good year to get me to read them and even then I think it might have had something to do with the TV adaptation staring the GORGEOUS Max Irons than the actual books. I know, I'm ashamed of myself but damn that boy is hot! Anyways, even though it took me a little longer than it should have to read these books the second I started reading The White Queen I was hooked! It's exciting and Philippa has a way of really bringing these characters (back) to life. I adore her take on what happened during The War of the Roses and even though I'm not a historical fiction kinda girl I was able to fall madly in love with this story. 


Just look at that face!
Time to stop gushing about how incredibly attractive Max is and move onto the review. Because at a guess I'd say that's what you really want to hear about. Okay so, the story of The White Queen is one of Elizabeth Woodville, a widowed mother of two in search of the kings help. However, the second the king sees the beautiful fair haired maiden standing by the side of the road he falls madly in love with her. The White Queen follows Elizabeth as she becomes queen during a time a war. How she bares the kings children, fights for their lives and linage through a harrowing and bloody time. 

Oh how I love thy so! This book I mean. Actually it's not even my favourite out of the ones that I've read but the story is so intricate and action packed that it doesn't give you a moment to breath. Elizabeth's character is strong and stubborn. I found myself both supporting her as a mother and also wishing she would just stop and give up all at the same time. However, I think that's part of the beauty of these books. No character if the faultless prince or princess, they all have their weaknesses and it only makes them more relatable.

I adored the way in which this book (and the rest of The Cousins War Series) is written and the fact that even though it was only ever rumoured that this woman was a witch that Philippa would choose to write it as if it was fact. That it was Elizabeth's magic that shaped her role in English history adding a magical flare to an already exciting plot.

I don't know about you lot but I didn't really know much about this period. I knew a lot about Henry the 8th and all his shenanigans but I didn't know much about what came before him. This book, even though fiction, shows just some of what went on at the time and is a series told by the women of court. It's an excellent read and works as a stand alone in a series of companion novels. I loved it and would recommend it too pretty much anyone. 

Okay now I've done the whole reviewing part can I go back to Max? Yes? Thank you :)`


No need to thank me,
You're welcome! 




No comments:

Post a Comment